Adoption Attorneys in Shreveport
Serving Families in Bossier Parish, Bossier City & Throughout Northwest Louisiana
Adoption is a wonderful way to grow your family and provide a loving home to a child in need. However, the process can be complex and time-consuming. Having an experienced attorney on your side is vital to help you navigate the legal aspects of adoption.
At Ryan E. Gatti, Attorney at Law, we have extensive experience handling a wide range of family law matters, including adoption. Our Shreveport adoption lawyers can guide you through the process and help you make informed decisions every step of the way.
Types of Adoption
There are several different types of adoption, each with unique requirements and legal processes. We can help you understand the different types of adoption and determine which one is applicable to your situation.
The most common types of adoption include:
- Stepparent adoption is when a stepparent legally adopts their spouse’s child. Stepparent adoption is generally a straightforward process, but it does require the consent of the other biological parent.
- Relative adoption is when a family member, such as a grandparent, aunt, uncle, or sibling, adopts a child. Relative adoption is also generally a straightforward process, but it does require the consent of the biological parents.
- Private adoption is when a child is placed for adoption by their biological parents. Private adoptions can be facilitated by an adoption agency or through a direct arrangement between the biological and adoptive parents. In either case, the biological parents have the right to choose the adoptive parents.
- Foster care adoption is when a child is adopted from the foster care system. Foster care adoption is generally less expensive than private adoption but can also be more complex and time-consuming.
Adoption Laws in Louisiana
Adoption laws vary from state to state. In Louisiana, the adoption process is governed by the Louisiana Children’s Code. This code outlines the requirements for adoptive parents, the consent process, and the legal effect of adoption.
Under Louisiana law, any adult may adopt a child. However, if the adoptive parent is married, their spouse must also be a party to the adoption. Additionally, the adoptive parent must be at least 18 and 10 years older than the child.
Before a child can be adopted, the biological parents must voluntarily terminate their parental rights. In some cases, the court may involuntarily terminate the biological parents’ rights if they are found to be unfit or have abandoned the child.
Once the adoption is finalized, the adoptive parents have all the same rights and responsibilities as biological parents. This includes the right to make decisions about the child’s upbringing, education, and medical care.
How a Lawyer Can Help
Adoption is a complex legal process that requires careful attention to detail. Our adoption attorney in Shreveport can help you navigate the process and ensure everything is handled correctly.
When you choose our firm, we will:
- Explain the adoption process: We will help you understand the legal requirements for adoption and what to expect at each stage of the process.
- Help you prepare for the home study: Before an adoption can be finalized, the adoptive parents must undergo a home study. This is an evaluation of the home environment to ensure that it is safe and suitable for a child. We can help you prepare for the home study and ensure that you have everything you need.
- Handle all the necessary paperwork: Adoption involves a significant amount of paperwork. We can help you complete all the necessary forms and ensure that everything is filed correctly and on time.
- Represent you in court: In most cases, the final step in the adoption process is a court hearing. We can represent you in court and present evidence to support your adoption petition.
Get Started Today
If you are considering adoption, it is important to have an experienced attorney on your side. Our Shreveport adoption lawyers can help you navigate the process and ensure that everything is handled correctly.
“They treat you like a part of their family and you truly feel that you are in the best hands possible.”“THE BEST!!!! There is no other firm in the Shreveport Bossier City area you should even think about for your family court or custody case.”- Jason A.
“Everybody up there is very professional and courteous.”“They always notified me of what was happening and the next steps in the process. They price of my case was very reasonable, as well. They are proficient and very thorough.”- Brandon S.
“Ryan and his team are amazing!”“They are professional, accessible, and helped to come to a quick resolution. Thank you, Ryan, for treating us like family.”- Kim S.
“Highly recommend Ryan Gatti!”“Great lawyer! Helped my daughter in a custody situation. He worked out a payment plan to aid in the ability to afford an attorney. Took the time to speak to us and treated us like family.”- Rachel T.
“I give Ryan Gatti and his staff a 5 STAR PLUS!”“I would highly recommend Attorney Ryan Gatti and his law firm. He is a very knowledgeable and professional attorney yet cares about his clients. He has always exceeded expectations in my case.”- Jonanne H.
“His staff is always cordial and punctual, 5/5 would recommend!”“Ryan Gatti is one of the most competent and attentive attorneys that I have had the pleasure of doing business with.”- Hal G.
“Ryan and his staff are phenomenal!”“They work with you in a timely manner!!! All around great man 10/10 recommend!”- Destiny V.
“I could not have asked for a better team of lawyers and legal assistance.”“Thank you Ryan Gatti and Gordon Mosley for your expert advice and guiding me through a very difficult time.”- Lynnette M.