Shreveport Divorce Attorneys
Assisting Clients Through The Divorce Process in Louisiana
Divorce is often legally complicated and emotionally difficult. Additionally, the outcomes impact child custody and visitation rights, people’s financial stability, and much more. With so much at stake, you do not want to attempt to settle a divorce without the assistance of an experienced attorney. At Ryan E. Gatti, Attorney at Law, our team is prepared to guide you through the process and advocate for your best interests at every turn. Schedule a free consultation to speak with one of our Shreveport divorce lawyers. They would gladly hear your concerns, discuss how your divorce could proceed, and outline how they and our office’s supporting staff can serve you.
Contact us online or call (318) 633-0186. Our divorce attorneys in Shreveport proudly represent individuals and families in Shreveport and Bossier City, as well as other areas across Bossier Parish and Northwest Louisiana.
What is a Divorce?
Divorce is the legal process of ending a marriage. There are various reasons to seek divorce and multiple methods of settling one. Below, we have offered insights about divorce in Louisiana. If you have specific questions about your situation, reach out to us today.
No-Fault vs. Fault-Based Divorces in Louisiana
In Louisiana, there are two types of divorce:
- No-Fault: In a no-fault divorce, you do not have to prove that your spouse caused the end of the marriage. To qualify, you and your spouse must have lived apart for at least 180 days if you have no children. The period is 365 days if you have children.
- Fault-Based: In a fault-based divorce, you must prove your spouse was responsible for the marriage’s failure. The grounds for a fault-based divorce in Louisiana include adultery, felony conviction, abandonment, physical or sexual abuse, and living separately for at least two years.
No-fault divorces are generally more straightforward and quicker, especially if you and your spouse can agree on child custody, spousal support, property division, and other matters. However, fault-based divorces can be the right choice if you do not believe you should pay spousal support or want to ensure you receive it. The grounds for a fault-based divorce can also significantly impact a judge’s ruling on custody arrangements.
Louisiana Divorce Process
Navigating the divorce process in Louisiana requires a deep understanding of the state's specific laws and regulations. The divorce process may include:
- Property Division: Louisiana follows the community property system, meaning marital property is typically divided equally between the spouses. However, achieving a fair division can be complex, especially when it comes to determining the value of assets and addressing unique circumstances such as business ownership or inheritances.
- Spousal Support: In some instances, one spouse may be entitled to spousal support, also known as alimony. Factors such as the length of the marriage, financial contributions, and the earning capacity of each partner play a vital role in deciding the amount and duration of spousal support.
- Child Custody and Support: When children are involved, matters of custody and child support become paramount. Louisiana family courts prioritize the best interests of the child when determining custody arrangements.
- Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution: While litigation is sometimes needed, alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation can offer a more amicable and cost-effective approach to resolving divorce issues.
What are the Requirements for Divorce in Louisiana?
You and/or your spouse must meet other requirements to get a divorce.
- One spouse is a Louisiana resident for six months before filing
- Submitting a completed petition for divorce to the correct court
- Serving a copy of the petition
- Participating in mediation or court hearings to settle the terms of divorce
How Long Does it Take to Get a Divorce in Louisiana?
The timeline of every divorce is unique. No-fault divorces have built-in waiting periods of either 180 or 365 days. While fault-based divorces are “immediate,” they can extend for months or years, especially if they involve complicated disputes. Find out how long you can expect your divorce to take by consulting an attorney who has handled numerous cases in the area, such as our Shreveport divorce lawyers.
How Much Does Divorce Cost?
The cost of a divorce varies depending on its length and complexity. The state’s filing fees amount to a few hundred dollars. However, court battles, mediation, and other necessary proceedings will add to the price.
Do You Have to Get a Lawyer for Louisiana Divorces?
While it is possible to file for divorce in Louisiana without a lawyer, the advantages of seeking professional legal representation cannot be overstated. A divorce attorney can steer you away from pitfalls, protect your rights, and negotiate for your interests.
The following are further details about why it is beneficial to retain a lawyer for any type of divorce:
- Family law knowledge: An experienced attorney will understand the complexities of Louisiana divorce laws that concern property division, child custody, alimony, and other relevant factors. This knowledge can be invaluable as you work to reach agreements about these matters.
- Objective advice and support: Divorce routinely stirs up strong emotions that could lead to irrational decisions. A trusted divorce lawyer can offer objective guidance when you need it the most.
- Help navigating legal procedures: Divorce involves all kinds of complicated paperwork and court hearings. The right representative can help you handle these things efficiently, saving you time by preventing costly mistakes.
- Crucial advocacy: A skilled lawyer can negotiate on your behalf inside and outside of court, striving to achieve a fair settlement.
- Shouldering the stress of divorce: Even in the simplest and least-contested divorces, the process can be taxing. An attorney can shoulder much of the burden, allowing you to focus on your family and rebuilding a life after your marriage.
Contact Our Divorce Lawyer in Shreveport Today
Whether you are considering filing for divorce or are in the midst of one, contact Ryan E. Gatti, Attorney at Law. Our team has fought for the rights and interests of the people of Northwest Louisiana for 20+ years. We would be glad to have the opportunity to serve you and your family. Find out what we can offer in a free consultation. We can schedule these in person or virtually, making it convenient to start with us.
“They treat you like a part of their family and you truly feel that you are in the best hands possible.”“THE BEST!!!! There is no other firm in the Shreveport Bossier City area you should even think about for your family court or custody case.”- Jason A.
“Everybody up there is very professional and courteous.”“They always notified me of what was happening and the next steps in the process. They price of my case was very reasonable, as well. They are proficient and very thorough.”- Brandon S.
“Ryan and his team are amazing!”“They are professional, accessible, and helped to come to a quick resolution. Thank you, Ryan, for treating us like family.”- Kim S.
“Highly recommend Ryan Gatti!”“Great lawyer! Helped my daughter in a custody situation. He worked out a payment plan to aid in the ability to afford an attorney. Took the time to speak to us and treated us like family.”- Rachel T.
“I give Ryan Gatti and his staff a 5 STAR PLUS!”“I would highly recommend Attorney Ryan Gatti and his law firm. He is a very knowledgeable and professional attorney yet cares about his clients. He has always exceeded expectations in my case.”- Jonanne H.
“His staff is always cordial and punctual, 5/5 would recommend!”“Ryan Gatti is one of the most competent and attentive attorneys that I have had the pleasure of doing business with.”- Hal G.
“Ryan and his staff are phenomenal!”“They work with you in a timely manner!!! All around great man 10/10 recommend!”- Destiny V.
“I could not have asked for a better team of lawyers and legal assistance.”“Thank you Ryan Gatti and Gordon Mosley for your expert advice and guiding me through a very difficult time.”- Lynnette M.